Tomorrow, November 16th is national check your windshield wiper day. When was the last time you checked your windshield wipers? Do you already know they are bad but keep putting off or forgetting to get new ones? Doing so can prove to be very detrimental to not only your visibility but also increases the chance of getting involved in an accident. When it comes to road safety awareness and prevention is key. Here are a few tips to help you celebrate this day.
When to check:
· Before the change of a new season, especially winter or spring
· During an oil change
· When you fill up gas
· After a car wash
· Before a road trip
Windshield wiper care tips:
· Double check you are buying the correct size! Refer to your owner’s manual to know the factory recommended size best suited for your vehicle.
· Don’t forget the rear wiper too!
· Clean the bottom of your windshield. The wipers naturally push debris to the sided but to the bottom as well which could cause build up.
· Also clean the wiper blades. Take your finger or a damp cloth across the bottom to remove stuck on debris and check the health of the rubber to see if there are any cracks or missing chunks of rubber.
· Never use your wipers when the windshield is dry. They are designed to operate on a wet windshield. Spray wiper fluid first before operating the wipers to prevent extra wear and tear to the blades.
· Do not use windshield wipers to wipe off heavy snow or ice. This can cause strain to the motor which is expensive to have replaced. Same for when trying to use the wipers when they are stuck to the glass. This will wear out the motor as well; fully defrost the windows before starting wiper blades.
Now is the perfect time to check on all of your wiper blades before the bad weather starts rolling in. You’ll thank yourself later that you checked them during fall weather instead of changing them during a freezing cold rain or snow storm. Intimate weather is always hazardous but keeping up on maintenance steps such as these can put you one step closer to being accident free and making it home safely.